The Most Disingenuous Ad of the Year
It's the most disingenuous ad of the year. In a desperate and panicked effort to stop her polls from plummeting and distract from her broken promises to Louisianians, Mary Landrieu has launched an ad that would make Pinocchio blush.
For years, Mary Landrieu repeatedly promised Louisianians that under ObamaCare: "If you like the insurance that you have, you’ll be able to keep it.” Landrieu made this promise despite knowing it was blatantly untrue:
- Three years ago, Mary Landrieu supported the very ObamaCare rule that's responsible for the health insurance cancellations that have caused so much consternation over the last month (Democrats unanimously supported it). Nearly 93,000 Louisianians' health insurance policies are in jeopardy and Mary Landrieu is directly to blame for that reality.
- When asked whether President Obama mislead Democrats, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) disclosed: "He should have just been more specific...No, we all knew."
- Top Democratic leaders in Washington admitted that they actually knew middle class Americans would lose their coverage because of ObamaCare: "House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer conceded to reporters today that Democrats knew people would not be able to keep their current health care plans under Obamacare and expressed qualified contrition for President Obama’s repeated vows to the contrary. 'We knew that there would be some policies that would not qualify and therefore people would be required to get more extensive coverage.'"
The truth is that ObamaCare was designed to force many younger or healthy people who liked their current plans into exchanges (where those plans may no longer exist). That isn't a glitch or an unintended consequence of the law, that is how ObamaCare is SUPPOSED to work (which is one of many reasons why there was so much objection to it).
Mary Landrieu's latest act of desperation is a stark reminder that one of the following two facts must be true:
- Mary Landrieu was knowingly dishonest about people keeping their care yet repeatedly promised otherwise? or,
- Mary Landrieu didn't understand the legislation that she repeatedly championed (and made the centerpiece of her campaign).
"Mary Landrieu's latest ad is the most disingenuous television ad of the year," said NRSC Press Secretary Brook Hougesen. "Mary Landrieu repeatedly promised that everyone could keep their health care plans and doctors if they liked them despite knowing that it was blatantly untrue. Not only did Landrieu support ObamaCare, but three years ago she supported the specific provision responsible for cancelling these policies. How can Louisianians trust anything Mary Landrieu says after she's repeatedly deceived them about ObamaCare for the last four years and continues to do so today? This ad is an insult to the intelligence of every voter in Louisiana."